|Keef Hartley Band|
Promo shot of Keef Hartley (not taken at Woodstock)
|Performed on||Day 2|
|Started at||4.45 pm, Saturday, 16th|
|Played for||45 min. (approx.)|
|Festival Day Chronology|
|Prev. artist||John B. Sebastian at 3.30 pm|
|Next artist||The Incredible String Band at 6.00 pm|
The Keef Hartley Band was the first British band that performed at Woodstock. Unfortunately, their manager demanded to be paid upfront for the rights to record or film the band without their knowledge, so they were never included on any official Woodstock release.
They went on stage on Saturday, the 16th at about 4:45 pm.
- Keef Hartley - drums
- Miller Anderson - guitar, vocals
- Jimmy Jewell - saxophone
- Henry Lowther - trumpet, violin
- Gary Thain - bass
- Spanish Fly
- She's Gone
- Too Much Thinkin'
- Believe In You
- Rock Me Baby
- Medley: Sinnin' For You (Intro) > Leaving Trunk > Just to Cry > Sinnin' for You
Of the above setlist only the first song "Spanish Fly" is completely available, a latin-themed Blues-Rock song supported by a trumpet and a saxophone.
"Believe In You" comes from Keef Hartley's then still unreleased album Battle of North West Six (1970).
Woodstock was the first U.S. gig for the band. They played to support their album Halfbreed (1969).
In 2009 song fragments from an audience recording were discovered. The titles could be identified as:
- "Too Much Thinking" (02:35)
- "Think It Over" (01:31)
- "Believe In You" (00:46)
The Keef Hartley Band setlist doesn't list the song "Think It Over" but due to analogue recording material it is most likely that the given order from the audience tape is correct and thus one more song exists. However, without knowing any other, more complete recordings this cannot be proved.
No official sources are known. "Spanish Fly" and the three song fragments above come from audience tapes. According to Keef Hartley's autobiography Halfbreed his manager requested $2.000 in advance to be recorded and filmed which was refused.
- ↑ Pete Fornatale: Back to the Garden: The Story of Woodstock, 2009, ISBN 1416591192
- ↑ Yahoo! Woodstock Project mailing list - Keef Hartley myths in various books
- ↑ Yahoo! Woodstock Project mailing list - Woodstock audience tape: Keef Hartley
- ↑ Yahoo! Woodstock Project mailing list - notes from the Keef Hartley auto biography Halfbreed